Friday, April 22, 2011

My Easter Reflections

This has been an Easter season unlike any other that I think I've had in my life.  I really tried this year to focus on why we have Easter, why we celebrate and not what the world has made it.  It started on Monday when I took I totally different approach to teaching this week, I knew the theme was going to be Easter, but something inside me just pushed to make it real and not fake.  This week in my classroom we did nothing with bunnies, nothing with the secular view on Easter and I am confident that it was the best decision I've made teaching.  I prayed, researched and carefully put together a week that would reveal the true story of what took place the first Easter so many years ago. 
I work with four year olds (for those of you who don't know) and yes we did talk about what Easter is really about; Jesus dying on the cross and how he rose from the dead three days later.  I couldn't have prepared myself in the least for all the proud moments I witnessed this week.  I wasn't sure how much the kids would get it, if they would even be into do all we did this week, but they were and it was awesome.  I worked with Resurrection eggs as the basis of my week.  If you wanna know more about them their awesome, totally recommend them look 'em up on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Eggs-Familylife/dp/1572297220 They tell the story though opening 12 eggs that reveal the story of Easter.  Starting with Palm Sunday, to the last supper, to his betrayal from Judas to the crucifixion, and lastly his resurrection.   Each day we opened a few more eggs and yesterday we ended with the empty egg representing the tomb. I was so great to see how much the children took away from the week and really learned about the true meaning of Easter.
Thursday we went to Northgate's stations of the cross.  I love how real Easter became to me going around and reading the story from an adult perspective after spending my week teaching the story to children.  It was such a great experience and God really moved through that night at church. 

Easter is a time to really reflect and I think I've had the privilege to help children do that along side of really viewing Easter in a new light in my own life.  I hope you all have had a awesome Easter week experience and see God working in your own lives this year. 

Happy Easter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment